Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2018, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

He says it kuh-REH-lee-uh, which is an acceptable pronunciation in English. The other, which I also heard in the movie, and I prefer because it's closer to the three-syllable pronunciation in Spanish is kuh-REL-yuh. That schwa sound found in English that makes vowels have an UH sound rather than their true sound is not found in Spanish. My name is pronounced kah-REL-yah by most native Spanish-speakers, but slow-speaking Spanish-speakers that enunciate sounds longer than most say it more like kah-REH-leh-ah. So in English the last three letters make a LEE-uh sound (Lea Thompson) while in Spanish they make a LEH-ah sound (Princess Leia!).
Old 09-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)

Ray Park, on Ewan McGregor’s excitement at Darth Maul’s return

I am assuming this took place during the Solo premiere
That is cute that Ewan was fan-boying.
Even thought I don't approve of Maul's resurrection.

I thought Solo was really good. Better than TLJ and TFA.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.H.A. (View Post)
He says it kuh-REH-lee-uh, which is an acceptable pronunciation in English. The other, which I also heard in the movie, and I prefer because it's closer to the three-syllable pronunciation in Spanish is kuh-REL-yuh. That schwa sound found in English that makes vowels have an UH sound rather than their true sound is not found in Spanish. My name is pronounced kah-REL-yah by most native Spanish-speakers, but slow-speaking Spanish-speakers that enunciate sounds longer than most say it more like kah-REH-leh-ah. So in English the last three letters make a LEE-uh sound (Lea Thompson) while in Spanish they make a LEH-ah sound (Princess Leia!).
Are you glad not to have a standard middle name like Maria?

I ignore the Maul resurrection. Let Obi-wan have his moment.

TLJ is a pile or trash, imo.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Check out some illustrations from Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Quote:
From StarWars.com:

"Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy arrives on October 30, but you don’t have to wait until then to get a look inside its covers. I’m honored to have been able to write this book all about incredible female Star Wars characters, but the art is what makes it truly special. With over 100 distinct and striking illustrations by 18 different artists for 75 female Star Wars characters, I don’t think there’s anything else like Women of the Galaxy. I get chills when I flip through the pages and see so many powerful and unique portraits of characters integral to the Star Wars galaxy. I’m not ashamed to admit the art has caused me to hug my copy of the book more than once. I cannot wait for everyone to experience the same feeling, so I wanted to share an exclusive look at five illustrations from Women of the Galaxy with StarWars.com readers first. [...]
Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

I would wear those red robes to Comic Con because they are the easiest outfit to cosplay.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

Old 10-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
Are you glad not to have a standard middle name like Maria?
Yes, although that's not really much of a generic middle name in Spanish like Marie is in English, that's more of a standard first name. Usually the uber religious name all the women Maria and call them by their middle name or full name. Lame.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

It's too much work to say a full name all the time.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

One of my Hispanic coworkers is a twin. Her parents went with English names, but stuck to the Maria thing in English. Her sister is Mary Ellen and she is Mary Elizabeth. Her sister goes by Mary and Mary Ellen. My coworker goes by Elizabeth. She named one of her daughters Elizabeth and calls her Libby. Do these people not know there are other names in the world? I'd go berserk in that family.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

You would not do well in an Italian family then, where if a family has 5+ brothers in it all of the first born male cousins will be named after the paternal grandfather and all the first born female cousins will be named after the paternal grandmother.
My family didn't carry on that tradition, luckily, but my maternal grandfather's family did.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, no way in hell my mother was going to name us after our father's parents (or anyone in either side of the family). I would have been Refugio "Cuca". My brother would have been Juventino. Her parents had better names: Juana and Constantino. Don't really care for Juana "Juanita", but it's better than my paternal option. And Constantine is pretty cool. Had I been a boy, I would have been Santino. That would have been cool, to have two Tino grandfathers and be one myself, even though I would have been called Sonny.

Doing my family tree, I noticed that most of the males had a junior, but it was never the firstborn son. My father's paternal grandfather named his 4th-born son after himself (had 6 sons total). And earlier generations did the same, naming the second or third son after the father. I wonder if they just said, "Eh, what the heck. This may be the last one. Let's name him after you."
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

How does Cuca come from Refugio? And does Refugio have a translation?

Juventino is a mouthful.

Quote:
And Constantine is pretty cool.
He is a demon hunter or something like that, so

Quote:
would have been Santino. That would have been cool, to have two Tino grandfathers and be one myself, even though I would have been called Sonny.
I am having Godfather flashbacks to hothead Sonny.

Quote:
I wonder if they just said, "Eh, what the heck. This may be the last one. Let's name him after you."
this makes the most sense.

My mom's aunt's name is Carmela but they call her Linnuccia. I don't understand how Linuccia comes from Carmela.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Refugio is taken from Nuestra Señora del Refugio, Our Lady of Refuge (sometimes called Our Lady, Refuge of Sinners).

I saw some dude on Tinder last year named Refugio, so he'd be a Cuco. He was attractive, like Jon Hamm in Mad Men, but no way in hell I'm getting with a guy that's named that.

No idea where it comes from, like many nicknames. Cuca is a vulgar slang word for vagina in some Spanish-speaking countries like Honduras and Colombia (not Mexico, though), so it took my mother a while to call her MIL by that name. Cuca is like calling her Pussy.

A common nickname for Eduardo is Lalo.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

You should've gone out on a date with him and said you're going to call him Rufio instead of Refugio.

Did your mom burst out laughing when she first hear the name?

Lalo sounds like it'd be the name of a candy
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ha, or call him one of the Fugees.

She was more mortified, like in shock, that that was anyone's nickname.